Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pearls...{My Best Teething Advice}


See that sweet little necklace on Claire?  No, it's not a fashion statement!  It's my best secret for teething pain and drooling!!!
 
 
 Papa calls them her pearls!
 
 
A little over a year ago, I had a friend who's son was experiencing horrible teething pain.  She spent many sleepless nights with him, and pain relievers were just not doing the trick.  Numerous times I saw her post something to Facebook.  One friend of hers kept posting about Amber Teething Necklaces, and, being that we were just starting to be in the throws of teething issues ourselves, I decided to take the plunge!
 
Now, let me clarify...I was a TOTAL SCEPTIC!!!  It seemed to me that in 23 years of raising children and never hearing of these beads, that it had to be some sort of new fangled hocus pocus.  Boy was I ever surprised!
 
I did a bit of research...found some incredible reviews...and even that in some northern European countries, Amber Necklaces are as common place as socks and shoes!
 
So, I found some on Amazon and at only $15 per necklace, I figured it couldn't hurt!
 
The results were amazing!  Claire was one of those perpetual droolers!  If you've never experienced this type of baby, let me just say it's not pleasant!  First, their clothing is always soaked and with that constant wetness comes an unpleasant odor!  On top of all of that, she had a rash on her chest that was basically from her saliva "digesting" her skin (as our pediatrician put it).
 
Within 3 days of putting the necklace on her, the drooling completely stopped!  I mean completely!!!  And the perpetual teething crankiness subsided!  Claire and Mama were both sleeping better!
 
So, how does it work?  Well, apparently amber has a natural salicylic acid in it that when warmed will absorb into the skin reducing pain and swelling effects. So, you don't want to have this necklace worn on the outside of their clothing...direct contact with skin is essential! The beads are not meant for chewing on!!!
 
I purchased a necklace that has light yellow beads, but amber varies from light yellow to dark brown.  So, you can actually find necklaces that you may find more appropriate for boys. 
 

The necklace we purchased has each bead individually knotted, so the risk of baby swallowing the beads in the event of it breaking is eliminated.
 
We eventually kept the necklace on Claire full-time - night and day!  I was a bit worried about it choking her at nighttime, so I would wind it around her ankle.  After talking to as many mommies I could find with babies wearing these, I discovered that the majority of moms were having the best results with just keeping the necklaces on their babies full time.
 
Claire is now coming to the end of her teething journey with only 4 teeth left to erupt.  But we will definitely be putting this necklace on baby Zion when he begins his teething journey!
 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!  Be Refreshed!

No comments:

Post a Comment