Monday, January 7, 2013

Flu Season...putting on your armor!

A little over a year ago, I posted our family's secret to preventing illness.  You can find that post by clicking here!
Ken came home today and informed me that The Flu has hit our region...and it's hit hard!  {He also mentioned that the Flu Vaccine did not contain the strain that is going around - surprise!} 
 
My first response was to pull out the Elderberries and get my Flu Season stock going.  If you click on the link above, the recipe is listed there.
 
I want to encourage you to prepare!
 
*Take Vitamins C & D
*Wash Hands
*Limit Sugar Intake
*Get Fresh Air/Exercise
*Drink Lots of Water
*Consider Taking a Daily Dose of Elderberry
 

 
And if you do happen to come down with something, {click here for my post with Dr. Zinment's Chicken Soup Recipe} that is sure to knock any sickness on it's rear!
 
 
 
And here is my piece regarding newborns...
 
Not so many years ago, I was not respectful of the toll sickness can take on an infant.  Honestly, the selfish or prideful person in me just didn't want to slow down or stay home.  Now, after having experienced illness with my infant and a subsequent hospital stay, I can't say enough to new moms to limit the exposure that their babies receive.
 
What I did not know, and am finding many moms don't know is, if your newborn receives a fever {100.5 or higher} before they are 2 months old, they must receive a mandatory spinal tap in the ER to check for infection!  Trust me...this is something you want to avoid!
 
And, if you have a sick child  {or are sick yourself}...stay home...it's where they want to be anyway, and you shouldn't be exposing others to the germs.
 
OK - enough said!
 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!  Be Refreshed - and Well!

3 comments:

  1. Also, keep your sick child home so you don't infect someone else. You never know if where you are going there is a child with a delicate immune system such as a child who is waiting for or is the recipient of an organ transplant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the elderberry syrup today! Where do you get the berries? We just have a throaty cough around here that is dragging on...and I have heard some people keep catching it over and over. I feel like we never fully recovered from shots...but i could be hyper sensitive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi clicked the link for the elderberries they're backordered. Have any other resources??

    ReplyDelete